Saturday, July 5, 2008

Gay Bar


Let me start with Thursday night's events. My roommates and I live in a diverse area and there is a large black/ghetto black/white/gay/homosexual/transexual/lesbian/hipster, but mostly black/ghetto black/gay population. I think it adds a little something special to the mix, something that means we are living in an uber trendy neighborhood. Unfortunately for me and my bros the sweetest/closest bar to our house is a gay bar and gay club. I am not saying that its not a cool bar I am just saying its hard for my roommates to meet girls at these venues. We generally don't make our way into these places, but have gotten a burger and had drinks during the day when things are a little more tame. At night I tend to feel a little uncomfortable see below for example(ass grabbing, couples in the bathroom, men approaching me i mean its a gay bar). Back to the story at hand.

Thursday night, my roommates, Mr. T and Crispy, were hanging out with some of Mr. T's coworkers. I didn't really feel like blowing money on beer, so I stayed in for the beginning of the night. Some of Mr. T's coworkers are girls and there are some guys and there are some gay dudes also, very cool diverse, interesting conversations. Well being comfortable with our sexuality and all Mr. T and Crispy and the coworkers go to "gay night" at DC9 a pretty cool bar. This is where I step in. We get there and there are a lot of dudes, mostly gay, and a few girls, chilling grabbing beers and talking. My roommates and I chug a couple and then hit the head to relieve ourselves. We hit a line and Mr. T thinking it would be funny to be an asshole, goes and says, "Hey Stud, remember when you blew 6 dudes here in the bathroom?" I blush of course because well I am no slut, and give him the "Shut the fuck up I am already uncomfortable as shit look." Mr. T likes to do things like this. I didn't really care I was having a good time and the beers were cheap until the guy ahead of me in line turns and says "Damn, I wish I would've been there." Awkward seconds pass as he enters the W.C. and out of earshot. I immediately turn and start punching Mr. T.

This kinda shook me up a bit, now I realize that this "gay night" is really gay, not some weak attempt at being diverse. There are dudes everywhere, kissing, hugging, touching, being all broke back and shit. I make my way outside to smoke a cig and I look down the street, there is about a line of 50 guys waiting to get into this place. Hoping that I don't see someone I know and have that weird conversation explaining why we are here. I eventually leave only to argue with the gf for the entire walk home over some stupid s. I didn't have a bad time, kinda awkward, definitely very gay, but I felt proud that I was open minded enough to face real life head on and go with it. Go me.

No comments: