Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bar Fly

Since my introduction to U street I have been faced with many new situations. This past month there were 4 people gunned down within two blocks of my house. Scary. I have been drinking (at home and at bars) far more than I did in college. Whether the two coincide with each other I have yet to find out. In just one month of this new life style I have grown. I became a referee for Metro League Soccer. This lets me get my weekly fix of soccer, sun, cardio, and insults in a healthy forum. Its a great gig though and a great way to pick up a few bucks. Much better than working as a Gelato scooper at National Stadium.
This weekend had its thrills. If you visit U Street once in your life you must visit DC9 Liberation Dance Party on Friday nights from 9:00 pm to 10:30 pm. Its $6 for all you can drink liquor! It could possibly be the cheapest entertainment in DC. Its one gallon of gas, one hot dog from Ben's Chilli Bowl, one pack of smokes, a beer from Republic Gardens/Saint Ex and any Adams Morgan bar. Speaking of Saint Ex, did I mention I got thrown out of there after enjoying the $6 open bar? FYI the bouncer's maglite is not a freebie or a toy, something I apparently thought Friday night. I proceeded to curse the bars name and make my way home with my phone in one hand predialed to 911 and my wallet in the other ready for an easy ditch. Of course Saturday morning I spent in front of a toilet. Alas, I am a trooper. The girl friend, Crispy, KJ and I all spent the evening listening to the merry Irish tunes played at Murphy's pub in Old Town, Alexandria. Where the Guinness flows like wine and the average age is 27 (acting 22). I would go on a rant about how much I love this place and yada yada, but this bar doesn't need the praise of an occasional traveler. It has deep routes and a good following, a place that will have its doors open far longer than I will be able to go there.
As you can tell I have not blogged for quite some time. I have had gripes with certain established blogs in the area, blog snobs or bloggery as I like to call it. Eat your heart out neighborhood blogs. The DCist is informative, but pretentious; the neighborhood bloggers have put themselves on pedestals, self written thrones of events that have already happened. This provides no entertainment for the masses. No joy comes from hearing about how good the Fringe Festival was or who was spotted at the local spot. The only emotions spawned from these conceited ramblings is jealousy and contentment from the people that weren't there.
Let me continue by saying I am appalled by the attitude of certain people. I want to throw a stereotype and claim that all hipsters are self righteous bigots with no respect or politeness, but I know this not to be true. The same way somebody might see me and only see a beer guzzling fray guy with no respect for anyone other that his pledge brother standing next to him in an expensive polo saying things like bra and dude. Well that might be true, but at least I am no asshole, most of the time.
Enough rants about the malaise, eat well, drink more, and have more sex with better people. More posts to come.

1 comment:

Eric M-M said...

"guinness flows like wine"
Boy you sure know how to sell a place!